white arrow icon


Development Checklist

Are you planning to start work on a new development? If so, our apT specialists are here to support you right through the development stages. Take a short read through our handy checklist before you start drawing up the plans for your new development, saving you money and timely delays before any substantial costs are incurred.

Pre-application advice

At the very start of the process you should consider submitting a pre-application enquiry to the Council’s Planning Team. A formal, detailed response will be issued. Broadly, this feedback will consist of an assessment of the proposal, including the principle, design and impact on local amenities, highway safety, ground and environmental issues. A decision will then be made as to whether the officer is likely to support the proposed scheme. In addition to this, any changes necessary for the development to be deemed acceptable will be included. You will also be advised as to which type of planning application you will need to apply for, and the information you would need to submit with your application.


Set sufficient time aside to allow for the following:

  • The submission of pre-application advice.
  • The preparation of any plans, surveys and reports.
  • The determination of the application.

A common error is for applicants to arrange a time for builders to start work before planning permission has been received. All of this stress can be avoided by setting sufficient time aside to allow for a pre-application enquiry, which we aim to respond to within 10 working days and for a householder or minor application which has a target date of 8-weeks.

We understand that applicants are keen to commence their development, however the pre-application may flag up a requirement that you hadn’t accounted for such as the requirement for bat surveys, which can only be undertaken between May and September; such unforeseeable issues can sometimes occur during the determination of the application and cause delays. It is recommended that time is built into the project as a contingency.

If the development requires a legal agreement, either to secure contributions required to mitigate the impact of the development to make it acceptable in planning terms or an obligation to control the development, this will be subject to a legal agreement which would need to be signed prior to the grant of planning permission. The time and finances should be built into the programme to account for this. A pre-application enquiry will normally be able to clarify the requirement for a legal agreement and the purpose of such an agreement.


Listed Building Consent:

If your proposals affect a listed building, you may need Listed Building Consent for works that don’t otherwise need planning permission. You can use the same ‘pre-application advice’ procedure to find out when Listed Building Consent is required and get feedback and guidance on your proposals. Applications are made through the usual planning procedure.

Where Listed Building Consent and Planning Permission are both required, make sure you have both in place and have discharged all conditions before works commence. When carrying out the works you are recommended to use a contractor experienced in working with historic buildings, as bespoke workmanship and specifications are likely to be required.


Planning Conditions and Party Wall Act Agreement:

Your planning permission may include planning conditions that will ask for further details or information that needs to be provided before any work can take place. It is important to note that any pre-commencement conditions will need to be discharged prior to any work commencing as failure to satisfy this could cause significant costs and delays in implementing any development.

Do you know if there is a Party Wall Agreement in place? Are you aware of any special conditions? This may take a while to sort out and it will need to be in place before you start work on your development. You can view the Party Wall Act Guidance document here in regards to carrying out building work under the Party Wall Act 1996:


Submitting a Building Control Application and providing the right plans:

Make sure you have made an application before work commences. Building Control generally operates as a two-stage process, referred to as the Full Plans application. This process involves the submission of detailed plans, which are checked for compliance with the relevant Building Regulations. This is then followed by a series of site inspections to ensure that the work carried out is in accordance with the plan and compliance with building regulations. To submit an Building Control application why not visit our website, where you can easily download our application forms:

Are you planning on making new improvements to a property? If so read LABC’s 5 steps to building control regulations approval’ here: If you are carrying out simple building works our alternative Building Notice application can be submitted. To submit a Building Notice application you can download our application form here:

Are you looking to carry out full or partial demolition works? If so read our blog for all you need to know on how to get it right; Demolition works must comply with the Construction ( Design and Management ) Regulations, and a health and safety plan produced by the principal contractor. You can easily download and fill out our demolition form here:

Providing the right plans; have you got all of the relevant plans needed for both your Planning and Building Control applications? Do you have your plans to the right scale?

When you are ready to submit your application, as a minimum you’ll need to submit a location plan which shows the site in relation to the surrounding area. All plans and drawings must be drawn to scale and for plans they must show the direction of North.When you submit a location plan, they should be based on an up-to-date map. This scale should be 1:1250 or 1:2500. The location plan should be scaled to fit onto A4 or A3 sized paper.

If you require further information in regards to submitting an application and providing the right plans. Please visit:


Construction Regulations and New development warranty solutions:

Have you notified the Health and Safety Executive if your development will take more than 30 days? You can find out further information on the construction and development regulations here:

Do you have a warranty in place? This service provides a reliable and flexible solutions to meet the warranty requirements. The LABC warranty provides structural warranties for developer, contractors, housing associations and self-builders. Read here for further information on how the LABC Warranty supports you and how you can easily request a quote:


Our specialist team are here to support your requirements. If you require further information and guidance from the experts, please don’t hesitate to contact our team on 01952 384555 or email via


Category: General

Added: 12/03/2020


Back to List